Cambridge South Hockey Club is based in the city of Cambridge, UK.
The club runs four ladies' league teams and five men's league teams, playing on Saturdays during the season, along with a social mixed team on occasional Sundays.
We offer opportunities for both experienced players and those new to the sport to play at a level that suits them.
A new junior section was formed in 2016, training on Saturday mornings before the senior games. Numbers have quickly grown to over 100 young players.
The detailed history of the Club has been lost in the mists of time, but we do know that it was formed in about 1935, originally as a company team for the paper manufacturer Spicers, based in the village of Sawston (south of Cambridge). At some point the club 'left home' and became Sawston Men's Hockey Club, still based in the village and playing at the grass pitches owned by Spicers. A separate Sawston Ladies’ Hockey Club was formed later.
In 1996 the club was forced to move its home games into Cambridge when league regulations changed to require that matches be played on artificial pitches. The club was initially based at the Perse School, then at a variety of pitches around the city before settling at Long Road in 2014.
The move into the city eventually resulted, at the end of the 1997/98 season, in the men's club deciding on a second change of name to Cambridge South Hockey Club with the ladies' club following suit the next season. Cambridge South Hockey Club (the men’s club) and Cambridge South Ladies’ Hockey Club, having historically been separate but increasingly-connected clubs, merged to form a single club in 2009.