A week of preparation

Matthew Need

See paragraphs 4 and 5 for details on today’s game.

After doing an online multiple-choice quiz and sitting through a two hour zoom session I was ready and raring to go. I had my first assignment – Ladies 5s vs Newmarket 3s. I thought I was going to be able to rock up at Mr Cricket & Hockey on Monday evening, get everything I needed for the game and then relax the rest of the week, but alas a more complicated 5 days of shopping lay ahead of me. I got my cards (not that I used them) a scorebook (could have used paper) and a mini pencil (plenty of them lying around) but it became apparent I would need to use everyone’s favourite delivery service for the remainder.

On Tuesday I put my order in, 2 whistles and a lime green polo – sorted! Whistles came on the Wednesday, very swift; despite the excessive packaging I was impressed with the speed! No polo though, Thursday no polo, Friday; well by Friday evening I was getting nervous. About when Cinderella beautifully transitioned from Whatta Man to Seven Nation Army, I decided I needed a bit of help and messaged a trusted 4s companion for the polo. Problem avoided, ready to go.

Saturday morning. Got my kit bag ready and that was when I remembered a key message from the zoom session – using a phone as a stopwatch is unprofessional. No worries, the game isn’t till half four, plenty of time! Slight issue, I need to captain a 4th XI in Peterborough at one o’clock. I set off with sports direct rather than Peterborough hockey club; they’ll sell a cheap stopwatch right! After 15 minutes of searching and deciding that a Garmin would be a bit too expensive to use only as a stopwatch, I thought I was out of options. I checked the Poundland and Sainsbury’s on the retail park but only came out with a bag of muesli. This was when I had my best idea of the week, Argos, they still exist right? A quick google search proves my hunch, two in Peterborough. Just imagine the downward spiral that occurred when both were out of stock of the 9.99 Cassio wristwatch. I regained my composure and decided to swing by St Neots on the way back from the game. After a good use of click and collect, I nipped over the road to the hospital stadium for a game of hockey.

A tense first half saw us a goal down despite having the lion’s share of possession. Tom Grove’s short corner deflection wiped out by two Peterborough finishes. A repeat of last week was on the cards but any thought of this was wiped out by a fantastically fluid 10 minutes of hockey saw us flip the score line, 1 goal down to 1 goal up. After an incident which saw tempers flare, a flash of red and a very firm word from the umpire, we only had to play against 10 for the remainder. Another couple of goals later and we left the pitch 5-2 victors; job done, second in the league!

After a pleasure of a team talk and the official signing of the papers, I was back in the car with a meal deal for sustenance and just enough petrol to get me to Long Road. With the A1 being such a long and boring road, it gave me a chance to reflect on some of the notable performances from today’s game. First thing that came to mind was the goal scoring prowess of Tom G, Owen and Laurie; fine performances from all. Next came Jimmy’s selfless performance upfront and his several assists. As I saw a sign for Stilton, I noted the impressive 4’s debut for Phil who seamlessly added to our midfield. It was when I passed Grafham Water that I linked it to the surname Grove and remembered his man of the match performance in which he completely nullified their main threat. And finally as I pulled off the A1 I spared a thought for the umpires, both of whom had an excellent game. At some point in the journey I let out an impassioned “GET INNNNNNNNNNN!” which I feel accurately sums up the 4s game.

Whilst mindlessly following the neutral voice of google maps, I began to realise a horrifying truth, this Argos was not based in an easy to reach retail park – this is a town centre Argos. After finding a short stay car park I briefly considered risking it and hoping to avoid the fine. Of course not, I’m too much of a good egg for that. Despite the queue for the ticket machine lasting longer than the trip to Argos I had done it, all equipment sorted, off to long road.

I arrived at fortress Long Road just as the sun dipped out of sight and I knew I was in for a treat, hockey under the lights! I missed a few calls but also made a few good ones. I got my left and right arms confused on several occasions. I awarded a P-flick but opted against a second. I realised the amount of running that umpires do in a game, which is a lot! At this point I would like to thank both teams for a being a patient with me during my debut but I think I did a decent, if not spectacular job. After a week of shopping and mild panic, I feel I have earned the trip to Ikea tomorrow.


You must be logged in to comment.

If you haven't created an account yet, you can sign up here.

Martin Grove
Player of the Match

An excellent defensive showing. He made their best player look pedestrian!